“We updated our guidelines to improve understanding and fairness for all developers,” said Joe Davis, guideline education manager for Google Play, in a video. Easier to understand and fairer except for developers who want to avoid 30% commission.
With the new updateWhen purchasing an application in the store, the Google Play payment system is necessarily used, which is charged with a commission of 30%.
5G: Auctions start at 2.17 billion euros
Within an application itself, several products are subject to this payment method and therefore a commission of 30%: items in games (gold coins, skins, overtime, etc.), subscription to services (music and video streaming, dating sites, etc.) and cloud Software products (data storage services, business productivity software, financial management software, etc.).
Every rule has its exception, and Google Play Billing’s new payments policy is no exception. Material products (clothing, groceries, household items, etc.), service fees (plane tickets, taxis, venue, etc.), one-time membership or recurring contributions (meeting room, sports, loyalty programs, etc.), one-time payments (transactions between individuals, online auctions, donations, etc. .) and electronic bill payments (credit cards, utilities, telecommunications, etc.) are not required Do not use the Google Play payment system.
It is still possible to escape the cost
The distinction between these different terms is sometimes okay. This is the case with subscriptions to services and recurring contributions, which can entail a certain degree of freedom of interpretation. In contrast to Apple, Google still allows sideloading of applications, that is, downloading outside the web shop. However, this practice is more the benevolence of the user than the developer, and its longevity is now at risk.
To avoid these costs, the solution is to sell their services or products outside of the application. This practice is currently tolerated, but Google prohibits links to other payment systems such as PayPal. “We continue to accept that you communicate with your users about alternative shopping options outside of the application,” says Joe Davis in his video to the developers.
The existing applications in the store have to be adapted within a year
In order to find the most suitable means of payment for their content, the applications that are now available in the Play Store must bring their operation in line with the new rules by September 30, 2021 at the latest. Applications that are not yet in the store need to take these messages into account. Rules from January 20, 2021. According to Google, only 3% of applications need to adapt to the new payment policy, the other 97% would already be using Google Play Billing.
Epic Games, the publisher of Fornite, which sued Google against its app’s internal payment system and initiated the “Coalition for App Fairness”, declined to comment on Google’s new policy. A message from the “Coalition for App Fairness”, in which it was stated that it wanted to “protect the application economy”, is long overdue, as is the result of the antitrust lawsuits from Google and Apple.